Set up and use cellular on Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular)
With Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) and a cellular connection, you can make calls, reply to messages, receive notifications, and more, with just your Apple Watch. Even when you aren’t connected to your iPhone or Wi-Fi.
Here’s what you need
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular)
- iPhone 6 or later with the latest version of iOS
- An eligible cellular service plan with a supported carrier
- Your iPhone and Apple Watch must use the same carrier
- You must be within your carrier’s network
Before you set up cellular, check for updates to your carrier settings.
If you have an enterprise or corporate cellular service plan, check with your company or carrier to see if they support this feature. Pre-paid accounts and some older accounts aren’t currently supported. To make sure that your account is eligible, contact your carrier.
Set up your cellular plan
You can activate Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) when you first set up your Apple Watch. During setup, look for the option to set up cellular, then follow the onscreen steps.
Or you can set up cellular later:
- On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app.
- Tap the My Watch tab, then tap Cellular.
- Tap Set Up Cellular.
- Follow the instructions for your carrier. You might need to contact your carrier for help.
Connect to a cellular network
Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) will automatically switch to the most power-efficient wireless available. It can connect to your iPhone when itʼs nearby, a previously joined Wi-Fi network, or cellular. Your Apple Watch can connect to LTE networks. If LTE isn’t available, your watch will try to connect to UMTS if your carrier supports it.
When your watch connects to a cellular network, you can check the signal strength from Control Center or the Explorer watch face. To open Control Center, swipe up on the watch face.